Deliciously fresh and crunchy classic wedge salad recipe to satisfy any craving. Healthy, low carb and keto friendly.
A wedge salad is a favorite keto-friendly meal of mine. I love the combination of crisp greens with soft, juicy tomatoes and rich cheese that make this dish so satisfying! If you want to know how easy it can be at home, keep reading my article on making your own Classic Wedge Salad with Balsamic Glaze recipe in less than 10 minutes.
What is a wedge salad?
A wedge salad is a type of salad that typically consists of an iceberg lettuce wedge, topped with diced tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese, diced onion, bacon and blue cheese dressing.
Is a wedge salad low carb?
Yes, this classic wedge salad recipe is low carb and keto friendly.
How to cut a wedge salad
Cutting a wedge salad is easy!
- Start with a large head of iceberg lettuce.
- Cut the lettuce into wedges, about 4-6 per head of lettuce
- Remove the core from each wedge
What is the best blue cheese for a wedge salad?
For this recipe I prefer to use a gorgonzola or roquefort cheese, but any type of blue cheese will work well. You can purchase a block or wedge of blue cheese and crumble it yourself, or buy it pre-crumbled in a container.
What to serve with a wedge salad
Wedge salads are typically served as a side dish or main course. My favorite pairing is with this incredible Cowboy Steak recipe. However, you could also enjoy it as an appetizer or light meal.
Some of our other recipes that would go well with a classic wedge salad would be:
- Loaded Baked Low Carb Chicken Recipe
- Delicious Creamy Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks
Can I make ahead a classic wedge salad?
Yes, you can easily make this salad ahead of time. Simply prepare all of the ingredients and store them in separate containers in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve, assemble the salad and enjoy!
How long does a classic wedge salad last?
This salad is best served fresh and I prefer not to store it for more than an hour or two once assembled. My husband doesn’t care about soggy lettuce though and he’s been known to eat this two days later – so it’s really up to your own personal preference!
Classic Wedge Salad with Balsamic Glaze
This is the perfect salad to enjoy as a light meal or side dish. It is great for entertaining because it can be made ahead of time and served chilled or at room temperature.
To make this salad, you will need (refer to our recipe card below for the exact measurements and directions):
cooked and crumbled bacon
crumbled blue cheese
diced yellow or red onion
Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing
Start by washing and drying the lettuce. Cut the head of lettuce into 4 wedges and place on a serving plate. Top with diced tomatoes, blue cheese crumbles, bacon and onion. Drizzle with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing and balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
I hope you enjoyed this classic wedge salad recipe! If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below. Thanks for reading and happy cooking!
Classic Wedge Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1 tsp Balsamic glaze
- Remove the core from the head of iceburg lettuce by hitting the stem firmly against your counter top. This will loosen the core and allow you to twist and remove.
- Quarter the lettuce and rinse under cold water very well
- While lettuce is rinsing, begin cooking your bacon.
- Heat medium sized pan on stove to medium high heat.
- Cook each slice of bacon well done on both sides for 3 minutes each side.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a paper towel to drain excess oil and cool
- Once cooled and drained, chop into one inch chunks
- Chop tomatoes into cubes and remove seeds
- Chop onions into tiny cubes, nearly minced
- Arrange the 1/4 wedge of lettuce on a plate
- Spread 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing over the top of the lettuce, or enough to your liking
- Evenly distribute and sprinkle the onion the tomatoes and bacon over the top
- Drizzle balsamic glaze to finish