This creamy spinach dip smothered chicken dish will knock your socks off! Do you ever get that craving for a big serving of cool and creamy spinach dip?
While we all like to devour what is traditionally an appetizer, it might be hard to justify the added calories. So why not make it into a meal?
Try this recipe today and fall in love with the super simple and quick meal. You’ll be able to sneak those vegetables into your kids dinner without complaint.
With creamy and cheesy spinach dip, juicy baked chicken, and tender mushrooms, you’ll be licking your plate clean.
I’ve followed my moms recipe for spinach dip since forever and think it’s one of the best I ever had. In my quest to add variety to my usual boring chicken dinners, I realized I can combine the two and live happily ever after.
I also realized that this fits perfectly into a ketogenic diet and is just what you’ll need to jazz up a low carb chicken dinner when you’ve run out of ideas of things to eat on keto.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I’ll earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Are There Artichokes in Spinach Dip?
Traditionally, yes. However, I did not include artichokes in the recipe because, well, my kids won’t eat them. I personally love them and can eat them any which way. If you feel so inclined to add artichokes to your dip recipe, please do so!
To add artichokes, you will want to add half of a can (7oz) of quartered artichoke hearts (packed in water, not marinated). Rinse and drain well.
Roughly chop and add them into the recipe at the same time as as the spinach.
Do I need to use Fresh Spinach?
No, definitely not. Actually, my mom has always sworn by using frozen, chopped spinach.
I used fresh in the recipe below. But, if you want to use frozen, follow these steps:
To best prepare the spinach, allow it to thaw completely and then drain well. You will want to squeeze and strain any liquid that is packed in until it’s nearly dry.
Having too much liquid will make the dip loose and runny. We are aiming for thick and creamy!
You will then use this in place of the fresh spinach in the instructions.
Leftover Spinach Dip Chicken
Wondering what to do with leftover spinach dip? For a fast short cut, this makes an excellent leftover spinach dip recipe. Just make the chicken according to the directions below and top it off with your leftover dip! Easy peasy!
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Loaded Baked Low Carb Chicken
- Roasted Chickpeas with Avocado Crema
- Egg Roll in A Bowl [Keto]
Smothered Spinach Dip Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 4 oz canned Mushrooms Stem & Pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ packet packet of dry vegetable soup mix I used Lipton
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- 1 small jalapeno (optional) chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a large bowl add cream cheese, sour cream, vegetable soup mix, and half of the mushrooms and mix together well. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and dry the chicken using a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned chicken in the heated skillet and sear for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove chicken from skillet once cooked and place on a lined and greased baking sheet and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- In the same skillet, add a drizzle of olive oil followed by the minced garlic and chopped onion. Sautee on medium heat until fragrant and softened, approximately 3 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken broth and let simmer for 3-5 minutes, or until the broth reduces by half.
- Turn the heat to low and add the spinach.
- Simmer until spinach is tender and wilted.
- Once the spinach is soft, add everything from the pan into the bowl that contains the spinach dip mixture and stir well until thoroughly combined.
- Using the same pan, add the rest of the mushrooms on low heat until warmed thoroughly.
- When the chicken is done baking, remove from the oven and place on a serving dish.
- Top with the spinach dip mixture and mushrooms.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and jalapenos.
- Serve and Enjoy!